We get a lot of people asking us for our prices (nothing wrong with that – everyone has a budget to work with).
But there’s a lot more to booking the right wedding DJ than just knowing how much they cost.
Since most people have never booked a DJ before and might not know what questions to ask, we’re going to go with an example that you’ll be more familiar with (buckle up – here comes the sandwich analogy).
You call up a sandwich shop to order a sandwich but all you ask is:
‘How much for a sandwich?’
They tell you ‘$20’. This sounds pretty expensive, after all, you just want a sandwich, so you call up another place and they tell you their sandwiches are $2.
Great price for a sandwich, right?
You go and pick up your $2 sandwich and you find out it’s a cheese sandwich. You didn’t want a cheesy sandwich! You wanted an amazing, gourmet sandwich! This wasn’t for just any kind of lunch – it was an important, once in a lifetime lunch. And it’s too late to change your mind.
Oh the disappointment!
If only you’d chatted with the first guy, you would have found out he was a master sandwich maker and was going to make you the best damn sandwich you’ve ever experienced, the kind of sandwich you’ll be talking about in ten years time – for only $20! In fact, if you’d taken the time to meet the guy, you would have realised it was Gordon Ramsay making your sandwich! Suddenly $20 doesn’t seem so expensive after all.
You probably know where we’re going with this…but in case you don’t, go back and replace the word ‘sandwich’ with ‘DJ’ and the word ‘lunch’ with ‘wedding reception’ (you can leave the word cheesy as it is).
Now, believe it or not, there’s a few ways that DJs are not like sandwiches. You can’t just walk into a DJ shop, have a look at their DJs and say “That one looks delicious” (ok maybe the sandwich analogy isn’t working any more…).
To figure out which DJ will tick all your boxes, do your research. Look at their website.
- Does it include pics from actual weddings or is it full of stock photos?
- Is there a picture of the DJ on there, or is it a mystery who this person actually is?
- How do they present themselves?
- What do they dress like?
- Do they actually mix?
- Have they won any awards?
- Can you listen to examples of them performing at actual weddings?
- Can you see videos of them at actual weddings?
- Do they interact with guests in a fun way, or do they sit in the corner waiting to just press ‘play’?
- Do they have ideas and experience in creating a timeline that keeps things moving in a fun and interesting way?
- Do they invest in ongoing training and education?
- Do they invest in high quality equipment, and have backups should something fail?
- Do they have public liability insurance?
- Do they purchase their music legally or use crappy sounding YouTube audio rips?
- Do they roll out the same old tragic party ‘favourites’ at every single wedding, or do they truly customise a playlist to suit the people in attendance?
- Can you meet them, or at least talk to them, before booking?
- Do they come highly recommended by your venue/photographer/celebrant etc.
When you’re checking out DJs for your wedding, don’t just ask how much they charge. Find out what goes into their service. What are they actually bringing to your wedding? Talk to them, meet them and make sure that you’re not going to end up with a cheesy sandwich (unless of course you really love cheesy sandwiches, in which case go for it).
Once you’ve found the perfect person to manage your wedding entertainment, you’ll know how much to budget for your DJ – exactly what they charge.
Give us a call or lets meet so we can find out if we’re the right sandwich for you.
And on that note we’re going off to make ourselves a crispy pancetta, caramelised walnuts, baby celery and mayonnaise sandwich on organic, gluten-free sourdough ciabatta. Bon appetit!